Monday, February 27, 2006

2-27-06

I’ve often wondered what life would be like as a dog.

At times, I am envious, especially when the dog is treated as well as, for instance, Rufus.

Think about it: He pretty much does what he wants. If Rufus wants to eat, he chows down.

Sleep? Zonk out anywhere and with whoever has a lap handy. He has more toys than most babies and unlike one person who shall nameless, if Rufus makes a mess, he gets off with maybe a discouraging word.

Temperature controlled living arrangements and only an occasional whap upside the head with a newspaper for biting the big cheese.

Unlike our other dogs, he doesn’t have to face the hot or cold weather, which the other Hall dogs must. But they are used to it and seldom complain, at least to me.

He also gets a chewstick every day and is always getting petted or scratched. As long as Rufus doesn’t get too rowdy and bite too much, he never gets in trouble.

Our other dogs have it fairly well also. They never go hungry and always have something to drink. It is water (tap water, ugh!), but at least they don’t have to worry about calories or sugar.

They also get to use the bathroom outside, wherever, and nobody gets on to them. I realize that it isn’t socially acceptable for people to drop a Baby Ruth anywhere the mood strikes, but a man does enjoy outdoor urination much more than the inside variety for some reason.

I do realize that all dogs are not treated as well as the Hall dogs. Some dogs are treated like, well, dogs. I have never been able to treat dogs bad. We have had dogs ever since I was a little squirt and whichever dog we had at the moment, was a good friend.

Even Rufus, who tends to irritate me at times, I would consider to be a friend and member of our family.

I know there are some other disadvantages to being a dog. Eating the same thing every meal would get rather boring. I also wouldn’t enjoy being kept in a pen all the time.There is also the cold and hot factor, which I mentioned earlier.

But dogs don’t have to get stressed out about work or how the family down the street acted all stuck up when we ran into them at the store.

They also don’t get drugs when they have little puppies. It doesn’t look as painful for dogs, mainly because the puppies are little squirts I guess and not babies that are way too big for the exit door.

For the most part, dogs have a better personality that people. Seldom do they have a bad day or are they depressed or angry because it’s that…never mind.

They are always in the same mood, for the most part. Happy and excited to see their owners, even if they just saw them a few minutes earlier.

Dogs don’t have to do laundry or the dishes either. But after careful review, I think I would rather stay as a human being, not that I actually have much choice about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home