Thursday, January 05, 2006

Okay, I was wrong

I am man enough to admit when I was wrong. In the fine blog I wrote yesterday, I predicted that USC would beat Texas and the two offenses would struggle.

Uh, not only was that wrong, it was very wrong. The two teams combined for 79 points and over 1,100 yards in total offense. Usually in a game between two good teams, defense dominates. Not the case in this one.

What stinks is after USC scored its final touchdown to go ahead 38-26, I thought the game was over and turned the old tube off. It was way past the bedtime and I needed my beauty sleep in a bad way.

Didn't find out what happened until this morning. I wasn't all that surprised. Vince Young is a stud. He really reminds me of me back in the glory days. Except he's a better athlete, taller, black, faster and much more talented. Plus in a few months, he will probably have more money than I see in a lifetime, if he's smart and goes pro.

Every week, I try to glimpse through the legals in our local paper. I find some of the items interesting.

I always look to see who is getting sued along with getting divorced as that can be a concern as those two items are pretty good signs that people are either in financial difficulty or soon will be.

One thing that I find interesting is that the marriage and the protective orders are almost back-to-back. I always wonder how long it will be before the two join each other. First off, the people get married and before long, somebody is filing a protective order against their spouse. Then, of course, a divorce soon follows.

That's a sad fact of life but something that seems to go hand-in-hand for a lot of people. In my position, I learn a lot more about people than I really want to know.

I know when somebody's having marital problems, when they're finances are going down the toilet and when Ken's cheating on Barbie. I am not a trained counseller in either finances or marriage, but could probably qualify as one.

People expect miracles and a lot of times, I just can't help them. Other times I try and get in a little hot water. I can't count the number of times that I have tried to help somebody and wind up getting bit for my efforts.

Everybody is your friend when they want your help. Sometimes, I wonder if I am in the right profession. To be a good banker, I guess you have to be cold and not care about people. It bothers me when Granny Grunt comes in for a loan because their electricity and water is about to be cut off and I can't help them for many reasons.

I have been cussed at, hollered at and made too many people cry. That isn't easy. I'm not asking for sympathy and don't want any. Some people think working at a bank is a cushy job. No, I don't work out in the cold or the heat. The temperature is fairly comfortable for the most part and the physical labor doesn't exist.

But the mental labor can be a major pain. I remember back to the old days when I never had to take work home with me. I didn't have to worry so much about this or that. Now it just seems to keep adding up. Fix one problem and another two or three pop up.

I need to reduce stress, not add to it. So do a lot of people, I guess.

There are some benefits to what I do. I really like to help people buy their first house or start their own business. I like that.

That's about it for the day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps the priesthood is another vocation you accidentally overlooked. Although you do have to hear first hand the terrible ills and misfortunes of others as you do now, you could have the penitent do however many Hail, Marys you thought the misdeed deserved and they would be joyous that they were absolved of all sin and blessed. I think that comes with a salary and lodging, too.

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home