Sunday, December 25, 2005

The Official Christmas Blog

I have survived the annual exchange of Christmas presents at the Hall household.

Yes, I did get clothes. They were nice clothes, but still clothes. I shall refrain from making comments other than to point out that I received two ties! It's like I was being mocked! They know I dislike wearing ties, but they were waving it in my face.

Hopefully, my look did not reveal the true horror I was feeling inside.

I do like gifts and feel fortunate that we had a good Christmas. Could have done without the attire, though, especially the ties.

Got the Band of Brothers, the HBO series based on the book by Stephen Ambrose. Watched it for about five hours last night. This is so good, about the best thing I've seen done for television or cable.

I don't believe I have ever seen any World War II movie that was more realistic than this. When the guys are bunkered down in their fox holes in Bastogne, you can feel the pain. A little too graphic on wounds, but it's not trying to make war seem to be some high adventure, like so many movies do.

This morning, I actually slept until 6:45. That's good for me. My body tried to wake up earlier but I overruled it. We are going to my mother-in-law's house in a little while. My wife wants to go early and stay late, so I'll probably make separate travel arrangements. I'd much rather waste a lot of money on gas over spending the whole day away.

We aren't eating until 11. Everybody else is rushing around, getting ready. I am playing the delay game, writing this fine blog you are reading. I'll show up at roughly 10:50 or so, gotta give a little gap just in case of bad traffic, train.
It will be a madhouse. Everybody is nice, just too many people and noise for the old Craigman. Dang weather is wet and cold, which might mean no outdoor football games! Crappola! I was hoping the weather would be nice and I could play quarterback for both teams and show off the golden arm that holds the Heavener High School game, season and career record for interceptions thrown.

Yep, you didn't realize I was such a success, eh? I threw five interceptions in a game my junior year against Hartshorne. Three of them to the same little Indian guy! You know, you have to work pretty hard to hold school records and I'm proud of it. I should have a plaque or something.

The rest of the family is actually discussing clothing choices. Tee hee. I'll give that a lot of thought, like until I see whatever is clean.

Must go. Have a Merry Christmas.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 interceptions to the same little Indian guy in your junior year as quarterback? That is a league record and deserves to be noted somewhere, someplace. Sorry I didn't know about the Band of Brothers. I can think of a special person who got clothing also, but who's Christmas would have been made had he got such an awesome present. In fact, he would watch and rewatch that series forever. Ties? I guess they sensed a void and tried to fill. Sorry about that.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Craig Hall said...

I figure I made him all-state. Even returned one for a touchdown. I nailed him after he got in the end zone and got a personal foul called on me. I also probably set a school record for personal fouls called against a quarterback. Had two in one game back in that glorious year as a freshman. We were winless when I went down with a shoulder injury. After that, my teammates won the final two games. Hmm. Finished Band of Brothers last night. Really good.

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See, the things you do for others. You're so unselfish - making the kid an all-state. Probably no one gave you credit. I would have though I sense a bit of gloating over finishing Band of Brothers last night. Unbecoming to gloat although I'm sensing this just might be a well hidden character trait.

10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home