Thursday, December 22, 2005

Consider me humbled

My daughter is in seventh grade, 12-years old.

Two weeks ago, she took the ACT. She came to visit last night and brought along the results of her test. She scored a 17 on it. A 17! in the seventh grade.

Needless to say, but I will anyway so I'll have something to start off this blog with, that's the same score I made as a senior.

Ugh. I'm happy with her, but like the title says, I am humbled. I do have a defense though! I was not overwhelmed by making a 17 on my ACT and could care less back then. All you had to get was a 17 to qualify for college and I wasn't even sure I wanted to go to college.

I also took the test on a Saturday morning at 8 after playing an away football game the night before. I got roughly four hours of sleep and felt like crap. I blew through the test so I could get out of there, much like I did with most of my school work.

From what I recall, the math part killed me. Anything with algebra and advanced math was beyond my grasp. I didn't care for math then and still don't. I never have used calculus or geometry in my adult life and don't plan on starting.

I have a calculator that does really well in figuring stuff that goes beyond the number of fingers I have on my hand.

I scored really well on the English part of the test, and history, if that was even part of it. I also stunk in science. I was satisfied, though, never expecting some 25 years later for my 12-year old daughter to tie me on her first attempt.

She has no clue about tying me and I plan to keep it that way. I look back on school and wish I had applied myself more. For the most part, I coasted. That continued through college as my declared major was journalism but I spent more time having fun than I did studying.

I did okay at junior college, but struggled mightily at OSU. I was easily swayed by my friends. If they wanted to go out for a night on the town, I was game, even if there was a test coming up the next day.

In journalism, I did pretty good. If the class interested me, I was fine. If it was boring, I stunk.

One class that surprised me was statistics. Several people who were good students had trouble with statistics. I found it interesting and the teacher kept me interested and I got an "A". Prior to that point, I wasn't really sure that OSU gave out "A's".

Some of my friends got them, but I was skeptical. I would have done better to work for a few years first. But I messed up. Now, I would love to go back to school and know things would be different.

Not that I can, of course.

Anyway, that was probably boring. I have an admission: I really don't feel like working this week. We have been a lot busier than we should, not that it is a surprise. We seldom have the chance to coast any more. It does make the day and week go by fast.

Pardon me, for skipping around, but I have several thoughts filling my gourd. We're having company tomorrow.

My wife's aunt and uncle are coming to stay with us tomorrow. I've met her before. My wife says he wants to get to know me. Those are scary words. I'm sure things will be fine, but I don't much care for overnight visitors. It's like you are required to entertain. If people visit for only a short time, I can deal with that. But an extended visit goes beyond my entertainment capacity, plus, they might expect me to stay up past my bed time.

I've never really liked spending the night with friends, or having them stay with me. When I hit a certain point, I'm ready to hit the sack. It's like somebody switches my off button.

I generally try not to be rude. No, really. I am kind and considerate. At least until I get tired. Then I turn into a lion and tend to growl.

Our puppy crop has dwindled. Down to three now and the last male is being sold today, leaving us with two females. Naturally, they are a little on the wild side. They're good dogs, but are like whirlwinds. The males were all calm and collected. Not the girls. We decided on names for them: Bailey and Gracie. Usually, it is after you name a puppy that somebody wants to buy them, at least that's what happened with the male puppies.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You heartily deserve getting to know your uncle better and I'm sure if you try hard, you will like him. The females are whirling dervishes??? It's supposed to be like that. I would definitely hide from my daughter the fact that she tied your ACT grade while in the 7th grade. Statistics - interesting??? You deserve a week off.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home