Wednesday, December 14, 2005

12-14-05

Strange weather out today. A little warmer that it has been and it rained a little last night.

Didn't make the basketball game last night. Was toasted. Tired and not feeling all that great. Both the boys and girls won over Panama. It was the first win for our boys and the new coach, Scott Gregory, so that is good.

The girls won again, now 4-1 on the season. They have a chance to be very good, this year and the next several years. Their only loss was at Savanna, which has only lost one home game in some seven years.

This blog is now advertised on the links for Heavener Online, thanks to a suggestion from a loyal reader. I really didn't know if there would be so much interest in it, but apparently some people do kill a little time reading my thoughts and observations.

There are some good things going on around the old Heavtown. The old F&M building that was painted purple and gold and hacked a lot of people off, has been painted and looks really good. The new owners have a little store downstairs and are also remodeling the top.

Also, the old State National Bank building, the one that was closed in 1968 and was recently the general store, is undergoing renovation. They plan to pretty much totally remodel the building and use the downstairs for a business that will be announced at a later date.

As many of you know, we still have four puppies that are living on our back porch. They still aren't big enough to make it up and down the steps, so walking on the backporch is like going through a minefield until either my wife or I break out the snow shovel and scoop the stuff up.

If that isn't bad enough, we have another dog, Gabby, who runs free. She is a really good dog, but sometimes comes up with some interesting artifacts. Last week, she brought a deer skin home from who knows where. She was rather proud of it. It didn't really look all that great in our yard and I was afraid the game ranger might see it, but we have escaped so far.

This morning, my wife asked what Gabby had...now. I had just been outside to feed her and didn't see anything. But she had caught a rabbit and was scarfing down on it. I'm sure she will want to keep the skin and play with it. That is something I refuse to play fetch with.

Currently, we have four puppies, their parents Buddy and Daisy, Gabby and Maggie. She's a 12-year old beagle and bird dog mix. Maggie was the mother of Harley, who passed away in September.

She's been with me through thick and thin and gone through three moves. Maggie isn't all that fond of the cold and I'm worried that without Harley to help keep her warm, she might have a tough go this winter, but so far she is getting along fine.

Back during her younger days, she was like a dog Houdini. It was impossible to keep her pinned up. She has been a great dog.

Saw something a little odd this morning while navigating through the madness which is the middle school kid dropoff. I was behind a truck with a bumpersticker that said "I'm a (insert a 5-letter word that is used to describe a female dog)! Is that bad?"

Well, I'd say it could be. It isn't something I would really want on one of our cars. She was also dropping off a little kid. I'd hate to explain that bumper sticker to a little one. I only have one that came with the truck. It says "Yeah, it's got a hemi!"

Yes, and it likes to suck the old petrol rather fast, also. I drove by a gas station on the work today and saw my old Blazer and fondly recalled the days of better gas mileage and a better ride.

Well, I must go. Thanks for reading if you managed to make it all the way through.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my money you could Hall the Way all over Heavener. Between this and heaveneronline, it's the best entertainment section in the town.

2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the blog, Craig. I'm embarrassed to say that this is only the third time I've read an entry, but since you've made it so easy now, it'll be a regular stop for me.

8:51 PM  
Blogger Craig Hall said...

Thank you anonymous and Chuck.

8:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you like Heavener sites.
heavenerwebsite.blogspot.com

6:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home