Wednesday, December 07, 2005

12-7-05

Sixty-four years ago, in a day described as one that will live in infamy, our forces at Pearl Harbor were attacked by the Japanese.

One of the saddest days in the history of our country. Haven't seen much in the news about it today. Seems like it has to be a 50th anniversary or 75th anymore to see much.

We lost a lot of people that day. So if you see a vet today or know somebody who lost somebody on this date so many years ago, give them thanks.

We're having a guy put a deck on the front of our house, complete with a roof. Our house was put in what used to be a pasture, facing toward the west. We have planted some trees but they are still not big enough to give any shade so in the summer, that part of the house gets rather toasty.

The new porch will provide a lot of shade and I look forward to hanging out on it when the weather gets nice. I'm thinking about running cable out there so I can watch television, but I doubt the wife would be all that crazy with that idea.

We should have put the house closer to the road. Then I could sit out there and wave at the traffic coming by and holler rude comments to the ones who drive by going way too fast.

When we first moved in, the city had to run a line across the road for the sewer. For a couple of years, there was a bump on the road and would cause the cars and trucks to bounce to bounce, a real good speed bump. The OK Food and logging trucks were a lot of fun to watch hit it.

Went to the first home basketball game last night. Our girls are going to be good, even though they only have two sophomores. The boys are struggling. We have more height than in years, but had too many turnovers and the shooting was bad, until the end.

I got some good shots, but not as many as I would like. I attribute it to first-game jitters.

We're supposed to get an inch of snow this evening. Awful cold and clear out right now, but the bad stuff is supposed to hit this evening. I can't get as excited about snow as I once did. Mainly because I don't get off work like we used to get a break from school when it snowed.

Plus, it's just not as much fun to play in. I don't care what anybody says, the weather is changing. We used to get several good snows a year. Now, if we get one, that's something. The last bad winter storm was in 2000, an ice storm right around Christmas that was a booger. We could stand on our back porch (yes, now we have twins!) and hear the Pine trees behind our house snap from the ice. It sounded like shotguns going off.

I still haven't cleared up all the damage, something my wife has been prone to point out.

Get to visit the dentist today! Hurrah! It might just be a cleaning, but it will still hurt. My wife made the appointment for me. Remind me to thank her.

Adios.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home