Tuesday, November 22, 2005

11-22-05

One of our puppies is gone. My brother-in-law got one of the girls yesterday, leaving us three males and two females.

I have tried to keep my distance from them and not get attached, but that is almost impossible. My wife and the kids would like to keep all of them, but that would give us way too many dogs.

Here is a picture I posted of two of the puppies on webaperture, a photo site where people can post pictures and receive comments.

They were seven weeks old yesterday. We have to watch out for them as they sometimes escape down the steps of the deck and whine until somebody rescues them.

This should be a slow week at work but we were swamped yesterday. Way behind on a lot of stuff and hearing about it on a daily basis. We only get off on Thanksgiving Day, which is a bummer.

I started a thread on Heavener Online today about Thanksgiving memories. Thought I would share an expanded version here.

When we were kids, we always used to go to my grandmother and grandfather Hall's for Thanksgiving. My father had three brothers and a sister and they all had two or three children, so we would have a good crowd.

They all lived off so Thanksgiving and Christmas were the only times when we would all get together.

The food was always good, but that wasn't all that important when you're a kid, it's the fun you have playing with your cousins and uncles. Since the crowd was so large, the eating areas were split into three places.

The adults would eat at the big table in the dining room while the younger kids would eat in the kitchen, close enough that if they acted up, their parents were close by.

The older kids would eat in the family room. We would have access to the television and the football games. We would alternate being playing and watching the game, especially once the Cowboys were playing.

Our own football games were played across the street at the school, where there was a large grassy area that has since been replaced by parking for the students.

We had some great games over there with all the guys playing, even the adults. It didn't matter how cold it was, we were playing football. The women and girls would sometimes come outside, but generally were smart enough to stay inside where it was warmer.

If we really felt brave, we went up to the high school field. There was usually a good game going on there, also.

It's strange that as a child, I relished the large crowds and how hectic everything was. Now, as an adult, I go to my mother-in-law's house. The crowd is almost as big and seems a lot more hectic and not nearly as fun.

That seems to be the trend as an adult when it comes to fun, though. We don't do Thanksgivings at my grandparent's house any longer. My grandfather passed away in the early 1990s.

My grandmother is almost 90 now and living in a retirement home in Fort Smith. It just isn't the same.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home