Monday, August 29, 2005

8-29-05

Okay, I referred to this as a semi-daily blog.
It's almost been a weekly blog lately. Went to OKC over the weekend and didn't get back until yesterday.
We left Friday around noon and finally reached our homestead a little after noon.
I've been spending a lot of time working on Heavener Online and have abandoned this little blog deal.
Only heard one complaint. He said it was hard getting to sleep without reading this. Ha ha. What a comedian!
You know, there have been a lot of times over the year where I thought it would be better to live in a bigger place blah blah blah.
But usually after visiting a bigger place, I realize that in a lot of ways I am fortunate to live where I do. Yes, there are a lack of exciting things to do in the Heavtown. And the old home town has several problems, but I can still get around town in just a few minutes, if the train tracks aren't blocked, and get wherever I am going fairly fast.
Seeing the things in bigger places does make you relish what you have or don't have. We were staying downtown, next to Bricktown, so everything was fairly nice, aside from some of the old buildings that have not been refurbished.
The SBC Bricktown Ball Field, or whatever the heck it is called, is awesome. But just a short ways from there, you have a different look.
We went to a Mickey Dee's just a couple of miles away and noticed there was a security guard there. I have yet to see a security guard at McDonald's in Poteau. Sometimes, I think there needs to be some, though, especially when the students are released for lunch.
I'm not big on traffic. Ever since the old eyesight started going downhill, I can't pick up the traffic as good as I once could. Especially at night.
I prefer taking it a little slower.
Our hotel was the Radisson, right next to the Cox Convention Center, formerly...the Myriad. They built a new basketball gym right next to the old one. It's close enough to I-40 you could launch a loogie while driving by and hit the middle of the gym, not that I know that for sure.
I haven't always made the best decisions, but never been tempted to give that a try.
I went to the state school board meeting. It's actually pretty good. Learned a few things and got to hear a really cool speaker. I would give you his web site, but I forgot the guy's name. Remember, I am getting old.
He did his motivational deal, which was good, then started using chalk on a black sheet. At first, it just looked like he was coloring. But all of a sudden, you could see the Statute of Liberty, and then NYC's skyline.
It was so cool. Here was this big old guy, who looked like he was just coloring, doing this in front of a large crowd in just a few minutes.
The hotel was nice. So nice that they offered bottles of water for only $4. Right next to the old sink. Sorry, but I did not take them up on this offer.
By gosh, I'll pay $2.50 for a bottle of pop, and actually did on this trip, but will not cough up Four smackers for some dadgum water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home